Mittwoch, 29. Juni 2016

Tutorial: Meme-chan Cosplay Dress { Me!Me!Me! }

Tutorial: Meme-chan Cosplay Dress


Introduction:
I've been asked various times about how I've made my Me!Me!Me! cosplay, so I'm writing a public tutorial now that all of you can see and try out for yourself. This is my first cosplay tutorial, so I hope I'm doing well and you can follow my instruction. Have fun!

Choosing the right fabric:

Pink dress: As for the fabric I've used lycra for my costume. The reason for that is the following: Lycra might be a little expensive but the costume needs so little fabric that the finished cosplay will not be that pricey.
Beside that - and that's the main reason why I highly recommend to use lycra - is that the fabric will fall in place perfectly without making complicated pattern that flatter the body. As Meme-chan's dress sits very tight and reveals her body shape, lycra is the perfect material to use for making a dress that is easy to sew but still falls into place so perfectly that it'll compliment the body.
And now comes the best part: Lycra doesn't give off fluff, so you don't need to secure any edges! Perfect for beginners!

Yellow frills: For the yellow 'frilly' parts of the costume, I've used some spare yellow cotton fabric that I still had left from an old cosplay. But if I would not have that spare fabric, I would have bought light yellow lycra because the frills on the holders of the dress are going to be made of this and it'll gonna be a pain to secure the edges. (Trust me, I did it.)
So if you got some more money left for this dress, go for lycra instead of cheap fabrics. It'll going to be super fluffy and light this way! Also make sure to buy at least one yard - You'll see when you come to the part in which I explain how to make the skirt as for why you'll need a lot of yellow lycra.


Part 01: Top

{ add pattern here }

For the top part of the dress, I've used an old top as a pattern. The front and back parts are exact copies of each other.

{ add pattern here }

For the back, I've cut off the top half of the pattern and removed it. Make sure to cut it off in a 'circle' to make it more roundish. Then sew the back part and the front part of the top together.

{ add pattern here }

I've added straight holders which are connected to the front of the dress over the shoulders. Make sure not to sew them straight onto the back, they are supposed to be laying in an 'X' shape.

{ add pattern here }

Connect the holders of the back part of the top to the holders of the front part.

{ add pattern here }

For the yellow frill I've drawn spirals onto my yellow fabric and cut them out. I know it sounds funny but it really works. Just try it out for yourself! It's much easier to do this instead of sewing heavy frills onto the holders. Lycra is very, very thin, so the holders will look weird if you sew too heavy frills onto them.

{ add pattern here }

If the yellow fabric is cotton / non-lycra: Secure the ends with glue or nail polish. Then sew it onto the holders.


Part 02: Skirt

{ add pattern here }

Draw a circle onto the fabric that matches the hole of the bottom part of your top. This will be the part where you connect the top to the skirt, aka it will sit on your hips. So make sure not to make the hole too big! Measure how long you want the skirt to be and draw a bigger circle. Then cut it out.

{ add pattern here }

It'll look like this.

{ add pattern here }

Lay the pink skirt onto your yellow fabric and draw a slightly bigger circle. This will become the 'frills'. It's really important you make it a circle as well! It won't fall in place with the soft lycra properly if you just sew a straight yellow line to the bottom of your skirt.
 { add pattern here }

Sew it to the top by connecting the inner hole to the bottom of the top. Now, the dress should be done!


{ tbc }

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen